Modifications of Divorce Decrees for Summerlin, NV

Home > Practice Areas > Modification of Divorce Decree > Summerlin

A divorce decree is a legal documentation of a marriage’s termination passed down by the courts in Nevada.

Modification of Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the courts final ruling and judgment that declares a marriage’s termination. Divorce decrees can differ as each marriage termination has different obligations and rights for the individuals involved. Even though a divorce decree is a permanent document filed with the courts, it can be modified when life situations change. It is not unusual for one of the ex-spouses to later request changes to a divorce decree when circumstances like physical relocation, income, or a child’s needs change.

It is best to hire an experienced attorney with years of familiarity with the Nevada court systems if you need to make changes to your divorce decree, or your former spouse is petitioning for change. Our legal system should never be a do-it-yourself process, especially with Throne & Hauser servicing the Summerlin area. With our trusted experience in divorce and modifications of divorce decrees, we can assist in making the changes necessary for you.

Changes of Circumstances

To make any modifications to a divorce decree, there must be a chronicled or documented change of circumstances for those individuals involved. It is possible to adjust terms in a divorce when needed, even though a decree is legally binding. For instance, if child custody is a factor in your divorce and one of the parents will be moving out of state, that change will need to be made in the divorce decree. When making any changes to the child custody arrangement, there needs to be legal documentation in a decree of those updates. Then going forward, agreements can be defined, understood and met.

Spousal support, which is commonly referred to as alimony, can be adjusted in a divorce decree when there is a change of income amount to either party. Both amounts of support to be paid and the duration of payments can be changed in a divorce decree through proper petitioning.

The best way to ensure your petition is properly filed with the courts is with the attorneys from Throne & Hauser.

Preparing to Modify a Divorce Decree

Typically, modifications can be requested to a divorce as soon as it’s established with the courts. Petitions for modifications that are made within six weeks of a divorce being finalized are viewed with suspicion and may not be regarded as urgent. That holding period is for the understanding of the courts. When petitioning for modifications to a divorce decree, the burden of proof is required from the petitioner.

Summerlin Attorneys

If you need to have your divorce decree modified, or if your former spouse is filing a petition for modification, please call 702-800-3580.

Divorce is never a pleasant situation. I had a friend who needed some advice in this matter and suggested she meet with Throne & Hauser to go over her options. I went with her for support and saw how relieved she was after talking to Dawn. She hired them on the spot and we got some valuable advice and a plan going forward.

Client Review for Throne & Hauser

Call Throne & Hauser Today

No matter the level of help you need, our law firm is eager to help. Schedule an appointment with one of our attorneys today.