As everyone’s circumstances are different, your best bet when dealing with any Las Vegas child custody situation is to start with an attorney. They can help you navigate the legal system and ensure the best outcome for the parties involved. Making sure of the welfare of the child is a major determining factor in child custody cases. An experienced attorney will be with you every step of the way to ensure you receive proper custody, shared time and child support.
In child custody cases, these ensuing points determine what’s in their best interests:
- Environmental stability
- Age and gender
- Physical and mental well-being
- Quality of schools in the area
- Lifestyle and social components
- Caregiver’s capability to provide food, shelter, clothing and medical care
- Love and emotional connection between child and parent
Types of Child Custody in Nevada
Since there are different types of child custody arrangements in Nevada, your attorneys from Throne and Hauser will help you decide which is best for you and your child. Here’s a brief overview of child custody arrangements:
- Legal Custody: The responsibilities and rights to decide how to rear a child. Including education, medical, religion and discipline, legal custody can be joint, between two parents who would share these rights.
- Physical Custody: The rights for a party to have a child living with them. Most courts order joint physical custody, with the time-split allotments can vary beyond 50/50.
- Joint Custody: Joint custody allows parents to share decision-making duties and synchronize their schedules.
- Sole Custody: This custody arrangements awards one parent total custodial rights and allow the other parent/party limited interactions.
- Bird’s Nest Custody: This allows the child to reside in the familial home and the parents alternate who lives in and provides care.
After child custody is arranged, this is the next step. Child support is a pre-determined allotment of money that is typically paid monthly to the parent who maintains primary custody of the child. In Las Vegas, child support is designed to be used for basic needs like housing, food, clothing, medical care costs, and educational costs. Using a calculator, the courts will settle child support amounts based on the income of both parents and the needs of the child.
Family law mediation is used to work out quarrels within a family, with the direction to avoid trial and high court costs. In family mediation, an impartial third party mediates between those involved to smooth over challenges and seek favorable outcomes. That way, amicable agreements can be made easier in child custody and child support cases.
Protective orders shelter you and your children during cases of verbal or physical mistreatment. The attorneys with Throne and Hauser can assist in setting up restraining orders throughout Nevada to keep an abuser away from you and provide safety. A protective order cannot fully eradicate the chance that someone could harm you. However, it does provide the ability for you to have the offending party put in prison if they break the mandatory rules of the order. Child custody can be the most contentious issue in a divorce proceeding and it is important to know you have recourses if things take a turn for the worst.
Parental rights refer to the entitlement a parent has to make conclusions about education, healthcare and religion. Child support is typically provided to the parent with parental rights. Determining parental rights and accountabilities can be difficult in Las Vegas child custody cases. This is especially true when it involves parent liability of any criminal conduct of a child.
The adoption process can be complicated. Let the attorneys with Throne and Hauser help you navigate this in Las Vegas. If you are looking to begin or add to your family, we can help you ensure legal avenues for adoption. If you are an expectant mother looking to place a child for adoption, our caring attorneys can assist in helping you legally find a safe and loving home for your child.
Contact Us From Las Vegas
The attorneys with Throne and Hauser serving the Las Vegas, NV area are eager to help with any child custody or child support need you have. Our dedicated and hard-working team are your best advocates in getting the most favorable resolution possible for you. Call us today at 702-800-3580 to set up an appointment to meet with one of our attorneys.