Families come in all shapes and sizes, and adoption can be a beautiful and mutually beneficial way to make yours complete. And while adoption may bring great happiness to parents and families, the ever-changing Las Vegas adoption laws can make the process long, confusing and frustrating.
Hiring an attorney that has expertise in Las Vegas adoption law can be an invaluable step in completing your family through adoption. At Throne & Hauser, our adoption lawyers work with clients to help them navigate the complex Nevada adoption laws, making the process much more positive experience.
Adoption Law Requirements
Couples and young families have many questions about adoption law practice in Las Vegas, Nev., and the requirements for adopting a child according to the state laws. The general adoption requirements for Nevada state are:
- Who can apply to adopt? People of any race and beliefs can apply to adopt. The law doesn’t discriminate against people who work outside the home, have or rent a home, have high or low income, with or without other children, married or single. The person adopting must be over 21 years of age and at least 10 years older than the person being adopted.
- What are the basic steps to adoption? State law requires a thorough investigation and assessment of unrelated prospective adoptive parents (home study). The process is designed to determine the best family for a child or siblings and helps the family in question decide if the adoption is an appropriate option.
- What are the requirements for a home study? The home study is a screening process of the prospective parents. Home Study includes:
- Completed application
- Criminal background check, screenings and fingerprint clearances
- Interviews with a social worker
- Reviews and discussion in detail of all the available options and way to adopt.
Lawyers at Throne & Hauser specialize in adoption laws and child adoption processes. Having an experienced lawyer who understand child adoption laws in Nevada can help you build a strong case and make the adoption process smoother.