If you are undergoing a divorce, you know how distressing the process can be, particularly when children are involved. The attorneys at Throne and Hauser in Henderson are experts in family law, whether it’s divorce, annulment, child custody or parental rights. We are a renowned family law firm recognized for winning cases and creating the best legal settlements to our clients’ divorce or child custody cases.
Child custody will always be arranged reliant on the best interests of the child and sometimes these decisions are very difficult for parents to make.
The best of interest of a child is determined by the subsequent points:
- The child’s age, gender, mental and physical health
- Physical and mental well-being of parents
- Lifestyle and social components
- Love and emotional ties between parent and child
- Parents’ ability to provide food, shelter, clothing and medical care
- Quality of schools in the area
- Child’s inclination if over age 12
- Capability and willingness of parent to nurture a good relationship between child and other parent
- Environmental stability
Types of custody arrangements
- Legal custody: The right and responsibility to make choices about raising the child. This includes education, religion, medical care and discipline. When bestowed joint legal custody, parents share these privileges.
- Physical custody: The ability of a parent to have a child living with them. Most courts order joint physical custody, though the time-split is often not the same as 50/50.
- Sole custody: Sole custody settlements give one parent total custody privileges and allow the other only visitation rights.
- Joint custody: This custody permits parents to coordinate their schedules and share decision-making privileges.
- Bird’s nest custody: This occurs when the child stays in one home and parents interchange in and out of the home and take turns providing the child.
Child support is a prearranged sum of money that is usually paid monthly to the partner who holds primary custody of the child. Child support is intended for basic necessities like food, housing and clothing, health insurance medical care and educational costs. Child support is determined based on each parent’s monthly income and expenses. Centered on this financial evidence and the amount of time each parent spends with the child, the court uses a formula to determine child support.
Family law mediation
Family law mediation is used to work out family conflicts. With family mediation, an unbiased third party mediator encourages two parties to overcome their disputes as they reach a settlement. Family mediation can save the parties’ time and expenditures connected with the trial, but the conclusions may not be legally conclusive.
If you are divorcing on the grounds of physical or verbal mistreatment, you can defend yourself and your children with protection and restraining orders from Throne and Hauser Attorneys at Law. These orders keep you detached from the abuser in order to stay unharmed. Though a protective order can’t fully abolish the potential that someone will stalk or assault you, it will permit you to contact the police and have the abuser put in prison should they disobey the binding rules of the order.
This usually denotes a parent’s prerogative to make conclusions apropos to a child’s education, health care and religion. Determining rights and responsibilities can be frustrating, especially when it comes to the parental liability of any malicious or criminal conduct of your child. You are only accountable for your children’s actions until they are 18.
Families come in different shapes and sizes and adoption can make yours complete. The adoption process in Henderson can be long, complex and frustrating, but an attorney from Throne and Hauser Attorneys at Law can steer your family through it. Whether you’re an expecting mother considering adoption or a parent who wants to adopt a child of their own, we can help ease your worries.